Why Create a Home Inventory Checklist?
Keeping track of the items in your home can be a tedious process, but it is a great way to keep track of what you have and it can be a lifesaver if you're ever in a situation where you need to replace your personal property after a loss.
In the event of a claim, having a current and detailed inventory of your belongings can make the claims process much easier and faster. Don’t wait until you are faced with a catastrophe to try to look at your belongings.
Here are some basic tips to ease this process:
- Keep your important documents safe and easily accessible incase of an emergency. You can also keep a digital copy of important documents in case you ever need them on the go.
- Make an inventory and update it frequently.
- Technology savvy individuals may prefer an app. Check out some examples here.
- You can create a tour of your home by taking pictures of furniture and belongings.
- Another option would be documenting in a notebook or on your computer. Just be sure the list would be safe in the event of an emergency.
- Don’t forget about items in your garage, attic or items in closets.
- Keep receipts or be sure to track values of items in your home.
It’s never too late to start, figure out what works best for you and start TODAY!